Saturday, April 9, 2011

eaters who write, people who eat

I received the dearest letter today; dropped off in person at my restaurant door. The bearer of said letter had been in the week earlier for dinner with his wife, celebrating their anniversary. It was not one of those usual charming thank you notes, but a type written letter on what was probably an old electric Smith typewriter, long before spell checker was invented. The letter reminds me of Hemingway, that stark bravado style of writing, clipped sentences, packing a punch with each word. I have to say, the letter made my day. It was fierce food writing at it's best and simplest, with a nod and wink from an older gentleman.

I have to admit, this man could be the next big food blogger! He describes my food in the most "oh so sexy" terminology. There were phrases that almost made me blush. When describing the server who waited on them, he used the word "legs-a-plenty." I was giggling in the car when I read the letter, actually worried that it was one of those "constructive criticisms" letters from a disgruntled eater. And, it's not that I get a plethora of those letters. Mostly I receive the nice gushing notes of appreciation, but I really do try and learn from those letters that aim at hitting at the heart of the disturbance for the eater/writer. It takes guts to write a letter voicing your less than perfect dining experience, and I appreciate the writer's courage when they can give me some insight in how we can do a better job. This is the humbling side of being a restaurant owner; when you own your faults and mistakes, and learn from them, and do a better job the next time.

So to all you avid letter writers, note senders, and yelp bloggers out there, a humble thank you for keeping me on my toes, for acknowledging us when we are hitting the mark, and for coming back and giving us another chance when we sometimes stumble. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment